How Dick Fosbury Changed the rules of the game and won the Olympic Championship in 1968, Mexico City….. Get Inspired…
He began experimenting with alternative, unconventional methods of high jumping. The straddling approach was used by all the high jumpers at that time for the past 4 decades. He dared to take the risk and reject the approach.
He tweaked the old-fashioned scissor kick, eventually morphing it into a new and unique approach, which was eventually dubbed the “Fosbury Flop.”. His approach was scorned by the community. First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.
Fosbury set an Olympic record at the 1968 Mexico City games, jumping 7 feet 4.25 inches, and the world had to take notice.
What a Champion Athlete… Truly an Inspiration…
“When you reach that elite level, 90 percent is mental and 10 percent is physical. You are competing against yourself. Not against the other athlete.” ~ Dick Fosbury, Champion Olympic High Jump Athlete
Sports Quotes – Inspirational Quotes, Pictures and Motivational Thoughts
<<<< Life is a Game ~ Play it Well >>>>
...Thoughts to Contemplate - Reflect - Discover - Explore - Inspire & Enrich Yourself...
- Mark Spitz~ Olympic swimming champion~Inspirational Pictures~Quotes
- Wilma Rudolph~ former Olympic track and field Champion ~Inspirational Pictures~Quotes
- Olympics 2012~London 2012~Games~Pictures
- Jesse Owens (African-American athlete, 1936 Summer Olympics)~Pictures~Quotes
- Beautiful Thoughts of life~Inspirational Stories~Pictures~Quotes~Think Positive