1. Every year, the Earth experiences an average of 2.5 crore lightning strikes during some 100,000 thunderstorms. That’s more than a hundred lightning bolts per second.
2. Lightning bolts travel at speeds of up to 96000 km per second.
3. The temperature of a typical lightning bolt can reach 30,000 °C – that is about 5 times greater than the temperature of the surface of the Sun.
4. The energy contained in a single lightning strike can power a 100 Watt light bulb for 90 days.
5. Trees sometimes can take direct hits from lightning and not get burnt – the electricity passes over their wet surface and goes straight into the ground.
6. Glass forms when lightning strikes into sandy soil. After a storm you can find strips of glass in the sand.
7. If you have wet clothes on, lightning will do you less harm.
8. In March of 1991 a single six-hour storm stretching over Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri caused more than 15,000 lightning strikes. During the storm the skies were ablaze with almost constant lightning.
9. “Lightning never strikes twice” unfortunately is a myth. Lightning can strike the same location many times.
10. Lightning hits the Empire State Building (NY, USA) about 23 times a year.
11. Lightning strikes also occur on Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus.
12. The irrational fear of lightning is known as KERAUNOPHOBIA. The fear of thunder is termed BRONTOPHOBIA.
13. The state of Florida holds the title of the “Deadliest State.” There are twice as many lightning casualties as in any other state.
14. The chance to be killed by lightning is 1 in 2,000.000. You have the same chance dying from falling out of bed.
15. Never talk on the phone while a storm is breaking outside. Not only do cell phones “attract” lightning, but about 1% of all lightning deaths in the U.S. are a result of people talking inside the home on a corded phone during a thunderstorm.
16. About 71% of all people struck by lightning survive. The fatal cases are usually the result of cardiac arrest. However, those who survive often suffer from serious health and psychological problems like loss of memory or sensitivity, insomnia, impaired hearing, or constant pain
...Thoughts to Contemplate - Reflect - Discover - Explore - Inspire & Enrich Yourself...